The past twelve months have been somewhat chaotic for travel, yet it doesn’t mean there isn’t light at the end of the tunnel. As the vaccine amps up its distribution around the country, it seems travel might get on track sooner than we think. Yet once we are permitted to travel for leisure again, it is important to remember that Brexit has changed some of the ways that we used to travel between the UK and the EU. It is still an easy enough process, but there are things you need to think about. From your passport and health insurance to checking that you have the right documents, you want to make sure you are prepared for post-Brexit travel. Here are the new Brexit rules for entering UK and EU destinations.

If you are travelling to the EU post-Brexit, it is important that you check your passport beforehand. On the day that you travel, you will need your passport to be less than ten years old (no matter if it has six or more months left on it) and have at least six months left on the date.

Health Insurance
If you currently have an EHIC card, check it is valid. If not, you will need to get a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) which is the EHIC replacement. Alongside this, you will need adequate travel insurance that must cover any pre-existing conditions which were covered by your EHIC.

Documents you might need
Unless you are staying longer than 90 days, the main documentation you will need is your passport. If you are staying longer you may need a VISA which you should have obtained ahead of time. Some countries also differ on what documents are and aren’t accepted, for example, UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from France if you lose your passport.

Check your phone contract
While a lot of phone contracts boasted of free-roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein, this guarantee has now ended. Check with your phone operator before you go to see the charges.

If you are visiting a country for up to 90 days in a 180-day window, you are counted as a tourist. This means you will not need a VISA to visit most European countries, but it is always good to check before you travel.

Driving in the EU after Brexit
While we can get you to France in no time and hassle at all, if you are planning on driving while you are out there, you will need to adhere to the rules. If you are meeting someone who has their own car and they are from the UK, they will need a GB sticker and a green card. If you are renting a car while on your trip, you might need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP). This is true if you have a paper driving licence, a licence issued in Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man. You will need to check with the embassy of the country you are visiting before you travel.

Travelling for business
If you are travelling abroad for business, these guidelines have changed too. Whether you are going to a meeting or conference, touring art or music or providing services, it might not be as easy. It is a good idea to look into the ATA Carnet which can help you to transport goods or work abroad in the EU and to look into the individual requirements for the counties you are heading to.

These are just a few of the ways that travel to the EU, including entering France from the UK has changed post-Brexit.